Tuesday, June 16, 2009

First Cruise Blog of Bering Sea Summer 2009

6-12-09--Blog Written by Eli Moore

Greetings friends and science enthusiasts, thank you for joining us on the Summer, 2009 BEST (Bering Sea Ecosystem Study) Cruise. The cruise is planned to leave Dutch Harbor, AK June 14th and return July 13th. This is my first research cruise of any real length (I have been on one overnight cruise in Delaware Bay) so I hope to impart the thrills and chills, literally, that we encounter during our time in one of the most biologically productive and exciting areas in the world. My first, and only, duties during the travel portion of the research cruise consist of renting and driving the rental car, with MOGEL Faculty Research Assistant Rachel Pleuthner, from Southern Maryland to Ronald Reagan Washington D.C. National Airport. I was mostly successful in this task, except for missing the airport exit from George Washington Pkwy. Despite my gaffe we still made it to our gate with plenty of time to learn the flight was delayed slightly and the gate was changed. I am very fortunate to have such an experienced and organized leader like Rachel (pictured below, in Anchorage) on this trip. Otherwise, I would likely find plenty of other unforeseen obstacles to throw into the mix.

The first leg of our flight was very brief, because I slept the whole way. Having flown across the U.S. a number of times you get used to waking up early to catch a plane, but that doesn't make you any less tired (not a surprise for anyone who knows me). Our first layover was in Detroit. This happens to be the same day as game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals, and the Detroit Redwings are hosting the Pittsburg Penguins for all the marbles. Even though the Wings are the most dominant NHL team of this era, the first thing we saw after leaving the plane on a restaurant television, were penguin players celebrating a 2-1 victory and the Stanley Cup Championship. No promises in any facet of life, even when you think the cards are stacked in your favor. I should keep that in mind while I am helping pull nets out of frigid Bering Sea waters.

The specter of playoff hockey was overshadowed by the excitement of landing in Alaska. Standing outside Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport I realize how much smaller it is than Reagan National. This was surprising to me because Reagan is by far the smallest airport in the DC area. Anchorage is also a smaller city than I envisioned. At 280,000 people, it helps reinforce how vast and unpopulated the Alaskan territory really is. Our hotel for the night was in easy walking distance of the entire downtown. The people were very friendly. At a local public house called Darwin?s Theory (fitting name before starting a marine biology research cruise) some locals greeted us, asked about our trip, and chatted with us on a number of topics. I guess it turns out that not all Alaskans are Palin Supporters.

While walking back to the hotel I was disoriented by the fact that it was 11:30 at night and bright enough to be 5 PM in Maryland. Since it was Friday, many people were hanging out at bars or cruising the streets. Every new aspect of the area helped set the stage for just how new and exciting of an experience this cruise was going to be. In the distance we could see mountains blanketed with evergreens surrounding the city. I used to love reading Jack London books as a youngster (Call of the Wild etc.). I can see why he was so inspired by this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment